1- Protect yourself from the sun
One of the most important ways to take care of your skin is to protect it from the sun. A lifetime of sun exposure can cause wrinkles, age spots and other skin problems — as well as increase the risk of skin cancer.
For the most complete sun protection:
- Use sunscreen. Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15. Apply sunscreen generously, and reapply every two hours — or more often if you’re swimming or perspiring.
- Seek shade. Avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m., when the sun’s rays are strongest.
- Wear protective clothing. Cover your skin with tightly woven long-sleeved shirts, long pants and wide-brimmed hats. Also consider laundry additives, which give clothing an additional layer of ultraviolet protection for a certain number of washings, or special sun-protective clothing — which is specifically designed to block ultraviolet rays.
2-Treat your skin gently
- Limit bath time. Hot water and long showers or baths remove oils from your skin. Limit your bath or shower time, and use warm — rather than hot — water.
- Avoid strong soaps. Strong soaps and detergents can strip oil from your skin. Instead, choose mild cleansers.
- Shave carefully. To protect and lubricate your skin, apply shaving cream, lotion or gel before shaving. For the closest shave, use a clean, sharp razor. Shave in the direction the hair grows, not against it.
- Pat dry. After washing or bathing, gently pat or blot your skin dry with a towel so that some moisture remains on your skin.
- Moisturize dry skin. If your skin is dry, use a moisturizer that fits your skin type. For daily use, consider a moisturizer that contains SPF.
3-Eat a healthy diet
A healthy diet can help you look and feel your best. Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins. The association between diet and acne isn’t clear — but some research suggests that a diet rich in fish oil or fish oil supplements and low in unhealthy fats and processed or refined carbohydrates might promote younger looking skin. Drinking plenty of water helps keep your skin hydrated.
4- Manage stress
Uncontrolled stress can make your skin more sensitive and trigger acne breakouts and other skin problems. To encourage healthy skin — and a healthy state of mind — take steps to manage your stress. Get enough sleep, set reasonable limits, scale back your to-do list and make time to do the things you enjoy. The results might be more dramatic than you expect.
Smoking makes your skin look older and contributes to wrinkles. Smoking narrows the tiny blood vessels in the outermost layers of skin, which decreases blood flow and makes skin paler. This also depletes the skin of oxygen and nutrients that are important to skin health.Smoking also damages collagen and elastin — the fibers that give your skin strength and elasticity. In addition, the repetitive facial expressions you make when smoking — such as pursing your lips when inhaling and squinting your eyes to keep out smoke — can contribute to wrinkles.In addition, smoking increases your risk of squamous cell skin cancer. If you smoke, the best way to protect your skin is to quit. Ask your doctor for tips or treatments to help you stop smoking.
6-Make masks a regular thing
Most of us will associate a face mask with the occasional pamper night with your girls. But masks are actually super important and can be incorporated into your daily regime. Celebrity facialist Georgia louise recommends doing a 10-minute mask every morning to hydrate and soothe the skin. Face masks can help address a whole array of skin concerns from oily and acne-prone skin to dry or sensitive skin; you just need to find the right mask for your skin type .Check out our fave masks here. Even if you don’t have time every day, do a clay mask once a week and a sheet mask to hydrate as often as possible.
7-Beauty Sleep or Take enough sleep
Do: Try to sleep at least 8 hours every night. If you don’t get enough shut eye, your skin gets tired just like you – it sags and you get bags. So don’t risk it. You can also apply honey on your face twice or thrice a week to naturally soothe and heal your skin.
“Don’t: Forget to wash and moisturize your face before going to bed”, recommends Dr. Rahul Nagar, Dermatologist, Max Hospitals. “For dry skin, use milder cleansers that are free from alcohol. Apply lots of moisturizer, and avoid hot water as it dries out the skin excessively.”
8- Stay Properly Hydrated
When we’re dehydrated…
- our cells get clogged up with toxins
- our metabolism slows way down
- we feel tired and lethargic
- we get constipated
- and our skin gets dry and dull
How does that relate to acne? Staying properly hydrated helps to flush toxins from the cells and helps to hydrate your skin from the inside out. When you’re properly hydrated, you’ll notice that your skin looks more bright, it’s “bouncier”/plump and it’s absolutely glowing and drink Green tea .
9- Switch to Non-Toxic Skincare Products
Now I realize: most skincare products are FULL of harmful chemicals and toxins that are causing major impacts on our health. Not only are they toxic to our systems, but they’re also disrupting hormones, causing gut issues and so much more.
I have a few favorite brands, and many of the products I’ve already put in my shop, but here are some of my absolute favorites:
- Primally Pure (use code “simplyquinoa” for 10% off)
- Tata Harper
- Andalou Naturals
- Avalon Organics
- 100% Pure (for makeup)
- RMS (for makeup)
10- know your skin type
We all have very different skin, whether oily, dry, sensitive or combination, you need a product that’s just right for you and your unique skin. Here are a few helpful hints to suss out your skin type:
• Oily: Your pores usually appear larger and you never leave home without blotting papers
• Dry: Skin often feels tight and you sometimes notice small red, flaky patches
• Sensitive: Your skin is easily irritated leaving it feeling itchy and red
• Combination: You’ve got different sized pores in different areas. Some areas are oily and some are dry
Once you’ve got to grips with your skin type it’s time to find the right products for you. It can take a few attempts, so test out a few products with some samples.